Saturday, April 17, 2010

Herb seeds

Well all those seeds that I planted in the shoe rack haven't germinated yet. Its been two weeks so I don't think they will. Maybe it got too cold out for them, or they weren't kept moist enough. So much for beginners luck. So now I am trying a greenhouse. We bought a couple Jiffy mini greenhouses. You add water to the peat and they expand and then you plant your seeds. And you then put the clear cover on them. I have them on top of the fridge as its warm there and it's close to a light. So we will see how they do. I have done 50 of them. I hope that works better as a seed starter. I can always buy started plants if it doesn't work and keep trying different seed starting methods till I find one that works. Direct outdoors didn't work (maybe to cold) so now I am trying indoors. I planted Chives, Basil, Parsley, Spring Onion, Hot Peppers, Mint and Dill.

We also bought window boxes and have them on the ledge of the balcony. We were able to fit 6 of them. We planted two of them yesterday. It snowed a bit today but it wasn't below 0 degrees. I did cover them with towels as that is what I could find quickly. Hopefully the seeds still germinate. I mixed red/green lettuce, spicy salad leaves, rocket mix and summer savory (herb). I added them to an empty container and mixed them all together. And I sprinkled them over two of the window boxes. This way we have a mixed salad ready to go. Guess we will find out how it tastes once it grows. Some of them I am unsure of how they taste so we will see how they taste together. I plan to wait a few weeks and then plant more in one or two other containers so that they will be ready one after the other. If they are all ready at the same time we won't be able to eat it all and we don't want to waste.

Jay has found an instructable on how to make an EarthTainer. I will post pictures of them once he has them built. This way we will have some self watering containers that we can keep on the balcony. We are able to fit quite a lot of gardening space onto or balcony. So you really don't need a lot of space to do gardening, which is healthier for you and cheaper then having to buy your veggies year round. So as you can see we had a pretty busy weekend and we aren't done yet. We plan to buy some more vegetables to put in the newly built containers and the window boxes.

Love,
Candy

1 comment:

  1. The Jiffy pellets are working great with one exception....I did have some mold/fungus growing on a few of them due to the moisture. I have used a 9:1 solution of peroxide and water. I put it in a spray bottle and sprayed the affected plants. After just one treatment the mold almost all disappeared. I have now done 2 treatments and it seems to have cleared up. I will have to keep an eye our for more mold/fungus

    Love
    Candy

    ReplyDelete